[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:36:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016  William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

​>>​
>> John Clark - the things they are good at is a testament to the genius of
>> the computer's teachers not of the computer itself
>

> ​> ​
> Huh?  I assume a computer is a blank slate, so whatever it can do is what
> the 'teacher's' taught it

​Does Einstein deserve credit for discovering General Relativity, or should
the credit go to Einstein's teachers, or to the teachers of Einstein's
teachers?​

​> ​
> Is there a difference between a computer and its programming??

​No but there is a big difference between ​the GO program that Google
engineers originally wrote and the Go program that beat the human world
champion after evolving into something new from playing the game with
itself millions of times and learning to get better.

 John K Clark