[ExI] nutrition again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 18:53:57 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:22 AM, Henry Rivera <hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu>
wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 10:06 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> ​I see in the paper today that Goldman Sachs has been fined $5 billion
> dollars by the gov for misleading investors around 2008.  So if individuals
> are not being punished, at least some companies are.  You have to wonder
> who got the axe in these companies as a result of the crash that we just
> don't know about because it's not national news.  I suspect that many got
> fired who aided the crash, but maybe that's just hope.
>
> According to this interview, this penalty is light and won't deter the
> problematic behavior.  A cost/benefit analysis by the banks will lead them
> down this path again. And thus why would they bother firing staff (unless
> it's a PR move).
>

> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/is-dodd-frank-missing-some-vital-regulatory-firewalls/

​All true, I suppose.  And the Dodd-Frank act hasn't been implemented to
its fullest extent, by far.  Again, I know little about finance and
economics, but I do know people and without strong regulation crashes will
keep on happening.  It's the same old thing:

Keep doing the same thing and you will keep getting the same results:
 short term profits and long term crashes.

Give people a way to cheat and many will if it puts them above someone
else, some other finance company, increases their bonuses, etc.  It's the
bad side of capitalism - too much competition leads to immoral and illegal
behavior.​

​  We see it in students, in athletes, everywhere.  ​

Win at any cost.  This got us here, helped us evolve to this point, but
now, like a too great fondness for sugar and fats and salt, it has become
harmful in its excesses.