[ExI] Breakthrough Starshot - To The Stars!

Stephen Van Sickle sjv2006 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:42:52 UTC 2016

*I know of no examples that are single mission organizations with nothing
to do (and thus, no reason for people to continue participating in or
remember them) for years at a time.*

Why would they have "nothing to do?"  The major cost is in engineering and
the capital cost of the laser array.  Keep sending probes.  Use the laser
array for other uses such as a telescope array, or much slower (and
massive) local spacecraft, or super lidar for astronomical uses.

Now there is a thought.  Why bother with a payload?  What could you see
with a 100 GW laser array and the telescope array that goes with it, using
it as lidar?  The "probe" would be 5 times faster.  And you can gather data
for far longer than 2 hours.

I leave the calculations as an exercise for the students.  Anyone?
Anyone?  Spike?

steve