[ExI] nutrition - phthlates

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:20:11 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> As for making ad hominem charges against the researchers, that's done by
> both sides.  How often has industry resisted regulation against things that
> turned out to be really bad?  Industry data is suspect to begin with.

### Yeah, exactly, how often has industry resisted regulation of things
that turned out to be really bad? Can you name examples? (aside from
tobacco) How many thousands of examples can you adduce? Hundreds? Dozens?
Compared to how many millions of products that are on the market? How many
specific examples of substance regulation have unequivocally positive net
effects on human welfare?

Data are suspect to begin with. Singling out "industry" to be distrusted is
manipulative.

> Bottom line:  we cannot trust any industry to regulate itself.  Most drug
> studies are paid for by the drug companies, right?  Suspect any bias there?​
>
> ​  Way too much money involved.  This is an area that should lead us to
> spend more money funding independent research institutes.

### We cannot trust anybody, and certainly not government thugs, to
regulate any industry. "Regulating" is usually a way of attacking workers
under the pretense of protecting the public, and there is just too much
money and power to be gained doing that.

Rafał