[ExI] Breakthrough Starshot - To The Stars!

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 00:08:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Gilster will post a series of reports from the Breakthrough
> Initiative conference "Breakthrough Discuss" on Centauri Dreams:
>
> http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=35426

### I am wondering if it makes sense to do the following: Have a number of
space lasers positioned throughout the solar system. Build the spaceship
somewhere far out, like the asteroid belt or in the rings of Saturn (lots
of free-floating mass to eat there). Start boosting towards the Sun, using
increasingly more powerful lasers (because closer to Sun means more energy
to feed them), let the spaceships skim the Sun for a bit more acceleration,
and then continue boosting on the way out of the Solar system. You could
move stuff pretty fast this way.