[ExI] physics

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 25 17:20:35 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] physics

>…OK Spike, so a nothing in the middle of a something is a something,  Got it.

Ja.  I know it seems counterintuitive, but it should: you and I have no examples up here at the meter scale of a region of space with nothing in it.  As I recall you were the one who asked in this forum: under what circumstances could a glass half full be considered full?  I came up with a bunch of wacky suggestions while missing the most obvious one: under normal circumstances, a glass is always full, regardless of what might be in it.  There is no vacuum above the liquid in the glass.  If you could arrange a hard vacuum chamber, fill a glass half full of something such as water (or nearly anything for that matter) and pull a vacuum, the glass would be full of evaporated water molecules, dissolved gases coming out of solution and so forth.  Conclusion: under circumstances we experience, all glasses are always completely full.

So where can we find empty space?  In the region surrounding the nucleus of atom.  Ja?  Nothing there.  If you assume a hydrogen atom, there aren’t even any of the strong nuclear force mediator particles: don’t need them there, you aren’t cramming two protons together.  But in that empty space there is a there there, because that space is inboard of that electron waving around out there.  That electron breaks the symmetry of the empty space,

To define space, you need something break the symmetry.  So… by that line of reasoning, space didn’t exist before the big bang.  The matter and photons created in that event defines space.

Ain’t physic kewall?  {8^D