[ExI] phone app, voice activated data logster

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 22:28:35 UTC 2016

The "OK Google" hotword detection is available all the time on recent
Android phones because there's a DSP chip running specialized voice rec all
the time, which triggers the phone to spin up the more computationally
expensive full voice recognition in order to save power.

It's possible to program the DSP to look for other hotwords: changing "OK
Google" to "Computer" is popular. But as far as I know it can only detect
one phrase at a time and triggering the Google Now app to process the voice
rec results is the only option.

Obviously if you have root on your phone, you can install whatever you
like, and make it do whatever, but it could be complicated. This may not be
as simple as you think, which implies it could actually be a valuable app
notion. Once you solve the problems, depending on how good the UI is, I
think a fair number of people could use this. Particularly integrated with
note taking and cross platform phone/computer architectures like Evernote,
Pushbullet, etc.

On a more basic level, third party apps to modify Google Voice Rec already
exist, "Open Mic+ For Google Now" is a popular one, but it's in an arms
race with the Android team to keep it's features enabled.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 April 2016 at 18:18, spike  wrote:
> > We have used OK Google and most of us found it works pretty well at
> > interpreting what we say.  What I want is to pull out my phone anywhere
> and
> > utter a comment that doesn’t sound much like anything else, such as “OK
> > Logster.”  This would bring up the app.  Then I want to talk into it and
> > have it do voice recognition to text, then date, time and place stamp
> that
> > and store it, both at the start when I said OK Logster and another at the
> > end of the comment when I said Goodbye Logster.  The difference in
> locations
> > and time stamps at start vs end will clue me if I was driving at the
> time,
> > or walking or on my bicycle.
> >
> > I want to be able to email the text file to myself and keep a record of
> > where I was, what I was doing and when.
> >

> Go to your favourite app store (googleplay,itunes,etc.) and search for
> dictation apps.
> But Dragon Dictation from iTunes may be what you want.
>
> BillK

Justin Corwin
outlawpoet at gmail.com
http://programmaticconquest.tumblr.com