[ExI] Political correctness consequences

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:22:27 UTC 2016

Political Correctness is like the fable of "The Emperor's New Clothes" in
reverse. In the fable, the con artists told the emperor and royal court
that only the best, most refined people could actually see the non-existent
clothes. The advocates of Political Correctness tell everyone that only
racist, sexist, xenophobic, stupid, evil people could not see the validity
of PC. The PC advocates claim that PC "is just being polite" and so on.
Disagreeing with them can be bad for your reputation and career.

Surveys of American universities show that faculties have moved much
farther to the Left over the past 20+ years. And most faculty don't believe
there is anything wrong with that, because only stupid, evil people could
disagree with what most faculty believe. Right? This trend is most
pronounced in humanities departments. (As a retired professor of English, I
can attest to that.)

Psychologist Jonathan Haidt (author of "The Righteous Mind") has banded
together with other academics who believe that viewpoint diversity is at
least as important as the racial and sexual diversity that PC social
justice warriors focus on. Haidt et al have created the Heterodox Academy
organization. Check out their website for many interesting articles.

Heterodoxacademy.org