[ExI] Trump asks "​Why Can’t We Use Nuclear Weapons?​"​

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 18:52:55 UTC 2016

On Aug 3, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Darin Sunley <dsunley at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the "serious" politicians, on both sides of the aisle, wanted us to be able to take seriously the idea that a presidential candidate like Trump could be an existential threat to the country, they probably shouldn't have spent the last three decades describing, in turn, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George W Bush, and Barack Obama as similar existential threats.
>
> "But this guy's /really, really/ bad!" just isn't terribly convincing, in and of itself. We've heard that story before.

Exactly! Here in the States, every election gets depicted as the final battle between Good and Evil -- conveniently narrowed down to Democrat vs. Republican -- and somehow, magically, everyone's single vote makes all the difference. Notably, this is the only time people tend to believe an individual choice matters. I find it sad that some (maybe many) folks here is taken in by the spectacle.

The sadder thing really is not whether one really bad person or another will be president, but that this divides people. Well, that and also that anyone should be president. The office should be abolished, the White House turned into a homeless shelter, and every last person who has served as president should be roughly if not brutally thrown out of polite society.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my latest Kindle book, "The Late Mr. Gurlitt," at:
http://mybook.to/Gurlitt