[ExI] Stanisław Lem was there, and there?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Aug 4 09:47:15 UTC 2016

Yes, I am pretty confident in precursors. The letter doesn't mention
I.J. Good's intelligence explosion 1965, or even Alan Turing's somewhat
similar idea in 1951 (since they worked together at Bletchley park,
maybe they chatted about it there?).

Lewis Carrol has an organic simulation claim in Beyond the Looking Glass.

On 2016-08-04 03:36, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
>> *From:* Birger Johansson <arthur99dent at hotmail.com
>> <mailto:arthur99dent at hotmail.com>>
>> *Date:* August 3, 2016 at 2:07:46 PM PDT
>> *To:* S-Lem listan <lem-l at lists.rpi.edu <mailto:lem-l at lists.rpi.edu>>
>> *Subject:* *Stanisław Lem was there, and there.*
>> *Reply-To:* Birger Johansson <arthur99dent at hotmail.com
>> <mailto:arthur99dent at hotmail.com>>
>>
>> From the letters section at New scientist: Stanisław Lem was there,
>> and there.
>> https://www.newscientist.com/letter/mg23130850-800-11-stanisaw-lem-was-there-and-there/
>
> I think some of these things can be traced back further still, no?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
> Sample my latest Kindle book, "The Late Mr. Gurlitt," at:
> http://mybook.to/Gurlitt

Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute
Oxford Martin School