[ExI] save the art tech

Anders anders at aleph.se
Tue Aug 9 22:35:10 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-09 22:52, spike wrote:

> Now we take a wood pillar, set it on the same turntable, mount
> surgical lasers, have them burn away the surface of the wood in such a
> way that there is little penetration, a pulse for instance that would
> vaporize the top tenth of a mm in a spot a mm in diameter.  Turn,
> repeat, until a wooden David emerges.  Never a human hand touches the
> work.  Once that file is made, we can burn arbitrarily many Davids,
> scale them, surgically restore his manhood and so on.  Good thinking
> BillW!

I think mechanical milling is easier than laser milling. CNC laser
cutting is really mature and powerful (my brother got himself one, I am
so envious). One can put the laser on a robot too, but it is still just
doing 3D cutting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsubtwz6b30
The problem is that vaporizing surface material on a macroscopic 3D
object appears fairly nonlinear (especially wood!) so there will be
effects on underlying material too. Still, the more that can be done
solid state, the better.

Sculpture spam, anyone?

--
Dr Anders Sandberg