[ExI] Maximum biological lifespan

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Fri Aug 12 12:10:41 UTC 2016

         :
>(To get to a million year lifespan the scaling requires about 10^16
>kg mass, about the same as the entire Earth biosphere. That sounds unlikely.)

Who says it has to be animal?

It seems to me there could be a planet where there only has ever been
one organism of one species. That "evolved" not through our
competitive pressures but through that one organism's adaptation to
external environmental pressures: climate, weather, radiation,
seismic events, bombardment, etc.

Or, the biosphere had an evolution much like ours until a combination
of external events killed off enough other life for one species to
supplant all others. Say one fungus that covered the whole planet,
that needed no other species, that then potentially develops further
as in the previous paragraph. That can be considered a unitary metabolism.

The question for me is then whether such a being could become capable
of thought and, if so, how and why does this happen.

-- David.