[ExI] Our Ageing World

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Aug 14 17:18:08 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 10:03 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] Our Ageing World

On 2016-08-14 16:18, BillK wrote:
>>... Drones don't win wars. They create more enemies / terrorists than they

> destroy. You need (robot) boots on the ground to win wars.

>...I used to argue with a classmate who planned to become a military
officer that the future was automation, drones and war fought by nerds in
front of computer. He disagreed, saying "you will always need a guy with a
rifle"...Which leads to a real question for the list: what are the
technological requirements for being able to do this remotely? ...--Dr
Anders Sandberg

I disagree with Major Westerdahl.  There are plenty of scenarios whereby
virtual warfare can be waged without hurling chunks of metal, without any
particular type of foot-ware in any particular geographical location.  We
are seeing a virtual civil war in the USA apparently being instigated by
Russians with no physical presence, no traditional weapons, no particular
foot-ware.

In the past couple decades, western commerce has become entirely dependent
on reliable electronic communications.  Yesterday I got call from a friend
in NY who had to cancel his weekend visit because an airline faced major
delays over computer glitches.  Think about it.