[ExI] Meta question

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Aug 18 20:26:46 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:17 PM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meta question

On 2016-08-18 17:32, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

Given that, we cannot define irrational behavior.  spike

Weight in on this Anders - please?

Huh? I thought Caplans definition is pretty clear. There is epistemic
rationality - trying to believe true things - and instrumental rationality -
trying to choose the most effective means to get one's goals. People can
fail at these, and then we may say they are irrational.  Ja.

BillW, remember the first time you fell crazy in love?  Sure you do.  We all
remember that time, we remember the best time we fell in love.  Fortune are
those for whom the first time and the best time was the same event.

OK now.  In light of that experience. Remember all the stunning illogical
ways of "thinking" you did, all the silly goofy decisions you made, the
things you said, oy vey.  My bride holds each of these dear in her memory.
It worked out well, all of it.  Illogical acts are sometimes perfecly
logical, certainly from my son's point of view.