[ExI] link

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 22:06:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2016 7:46 AM, "Dan TheBookMan" <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 2016, at 7:06 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> What if the persons whose skin cells are used are dead?  I can see
> where this is going - Olympic champions, Nobel prize winners, etc. will be
> essentially cloned.  Could this lead to patents on DNA?
> >
> > In the US, federal law would have to be changed to abrogate the 02013
> SCOTUS decision on this very issue:
> >
> > http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/gene-patent-decision-in-plain-english/
>
> Copyright law might be more appropriate anyway.  Nucleotides are
> essentially letters, and English is not the only form of putting symbols in
> sequences that can be copyrighted.  Notice that computer code can be
> copyrighted, even if it is also functional.
>
> That said, there would be arguments as to who did the composition: the
> donor, or the donor's parents.  There are also laws against desecrating
> corpses; taking DNA without the consent of the deceased's estate would
> probably count.
> ​  adrian

​Now - that's what would happen, perhaps, in the current era.  What will
happen in the future?  I don't think it's a big stretch to say that people
around the world may pay little attention to our laws or any laws for that
matter, and produce copies of a person who is important or talented in some
way.

Certainly such a thing will happen if uploading and downloading an entire
personality becomes a reality.  Of course someone may want a new 'sleeve'
as some call it, but maybe with some DNA changed, such as more IQ, less
allergies and so on.  ​

​Or one could pay for a new sleeve (term from Altered Carbon) grown from
some fantastic body or brain or both.  Given man's vanity I am quite sure
these will happen, given the assumptions above.  In Altered Carbon a person
is downloaded into two sleeves.  The book did not answer the question of
which one the person felt like himself in - sort of mind-blowing, eh?  Can
your mind be in two places at once?

bill w​