[ExI] Meta question

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:18:11 UTC 2016

On Aug 19, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 4:29 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nukes? It's often difficult to figure out ​exactly ​what the framers ​ meant when they wrote ​various things in the constitution​, but one thing we can be sure of is that when they said "Arms" as in:
>>
>> "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
>>
>> ​they didn't mean AK47's, they couldn't have imagined ​such things , they meant muzzle loading muskets and single shot flintlock pistols. And as for nukes... well come on!
>
> Exactly. Just like freedom of the press can't possibly apply to anything other than the screw presses they had in the 18th century. Radio, TV, Internet... well come on!

Right! ;)

Let's remember, too, that the quote is from an amendment -- not the original document as ratified and that the amendment and its companions in the Bill of Rights were only added to get the nation to swallow the bitter pill of a much more expansive and powerful central government. (For those who can imagine it, it meant that some people expected the central government to overstep its bounds. They weren't wrong as the subsequent decade -- the 01790s -- shows.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst