[ExI] google classroom, was: RE: Meta question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 18:48:57 UTC 2016

Then please comment upon your comment above, in light of the modern
education philosophy: a teacher should be a guide on the side rather than a
sage on the stage.

spike

I would have quit and gone into marketing.  Example:  my chairman asked if
I would like the department to buy some statistics videos by some
well-known teacher.  My answer was that they could come in handy if I were
to go out sick for some time, but otherwise I'd prefer to teach my classes
myself.  In contrast to you and your son's example. these Ss were all at
the same level re stat, so I wasn't holding anyone back.  (re that, I'd
take your son out of a class of Ss some of whom could not do simple algebra
(if you did not have the Google classroom).

Also, I would often add material to the class (that was explicitly not
tested on) that was for the upper Ss.  That's not possible in the G
classroom.

*Most importantly, I'd lose the personal contact with the students and they
would lose theirs with me.*

What you describe is what I experienced in grad school  (well, sort of,
since everyone viewed the same thing): I came into the class, took roll,
and turned on the TV.  I handed out tests and picked them up.  Period, end
of teaching assignment.

Where's the fun in that?  Where's the creativity?

Now you must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss......ooops.    I was a
college teacher, mainly of upper level classes (we had no grad program),
and so what goes on and what needs to go on in the 7th grade is a mystery
to me.  Too, I taught psychology, an area no one had any experience in at
all, in stark contract to your son and math.

If I were teaching now, I could conceive of this:  Ss get a DVD at the
beginning of the semester and can go at their own speed and take tests any
time they want to, all in the first week of class if they're geniuses.  But
they would still have to come to class and get my opinions and views on
everything and perhaps straighten out stuff they got wrong on the tests
which they did not understand even with repeated viewings of the DVD.  I
could adapt to that.

But what you seem to describe is a teacher who is little more than a
secretary, standing aside and taking roll and keeping order and doing very
little actual teaching.  Boring boring boring.  Not worth being paid more
than a waitress.

bill w