[ExI] tabby's star again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:59:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

snip

> Have we any currently active (preferably with industry or academic contacts)
> thermal science hipsters?  We should work on this.

Thermal problems are the bane of EEs world over.  I spent a good
fraction of my professional time concerned with heat problems.

Waste heat rejection from power satellites is a big piece of what I work on now.

With regard to Tabby's star, there is a thermal power satellite design
that directionally radiates waste heat solar north and south.  The
sunshade that keeps local light off the radiator tubes prevents IR
radiation in the plane of the ecliptic.  So there is at least on class
of alien megastructure which would not show excess IR from blocked
light.

Keith