[ExI] ok geezer, was: RE: Meta question again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 23:27:48 UTC 2016

 On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>…Oh what a time to be alive, oh my, oh freaking my, what a cool time to
>> live is this…  Now tell me who here thinks this generation is not better off
>> than their parents, waaaay better off, better even compared to their older
>> siblings…spike

Perhaps in some things like you mention the internet.  But
economically, not in general.  To cut the payroll and raise their
bonuses, the corporate MBAs shipped all the jobs they could to places
with lower wages.  The effect was to hollow out what used to be the
middle class.  Without the relatively high pay that went with the jobs
now shipped out or automated out of existence, the bulk of the
population can no longer buy the products and services.  For a long
time they kept up their life style by going into debt, but the housing
bubble (by more of those MBAs) finally broke.  The current collapse in
oil and commodities has the cost below production for many things,
particularly oil.

An awful lot of the children of the middle class are unlikely to pay
off their student debts before they retire.  That means no savings, no
home, and for the responsible ones, no kids.

Bummer.

It's possible that Harvard will eventually be seen as the place that
destroyed the US economy.

Keith