[ExI] Nothing to worry about?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:33:47 UTC 2016

On 31 August 2016 at 19:17, Dan TheBookMan  wrote:
> http://fee.org/articles/the-myth-of-the-bee-pocalypse/
>
> Shawn Regan raises some good points here, especially the lack of impact on
> food production and prices. If he's correct, might it be that decades from
> now we'll look back on colony collapse disorder as merely another mostly
> groundless panic -- or will it simply be forgotten as we'll surely find
> other things to worry about?

I don't think I am prepared to believe this just yet.
It strikes me as part of a push-back by the chemical industries.
The article was originally published in June 2015.
Shawn Regan is a research fellow at the Property and Environment
Research Center (PERC), a nonprofit research institute in Bozeman,
Mont.
PERC appears to be linked to the Koch brothers.

This year's article from beekeepers appears to provide an opposite view.
<https://beeinformed.org/2016/05/10/nations-beekeepers-lost-44-percent-of-bees-in-2015-16/>
Quote:
Nation’s Beekeepers Lost 44 Percent of Bees in 2015-16
May 10, 2016 • Blog

Summer losses rival winter losses for the second year running

Beekeepers across the United States lost 44 percent of their honey bee
colonies during the year spanning April 2015 to April 2016, according
to the latest preliminary results of an annual nationwide survey.
Rates of both winter loss and summer loss—and consequently, total
annual losses—worsened compared with last year. This marks the second
consecutive survey year that summer loss rates rivalled winter loss
rates.