[ExI] LIGO is back online

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:54:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Chris Hibbert <hibbert at mydruthers.com>
wrote:

​> ​
> A friend told me last night he went to a talk at Stanford on LIGO, and the
> unit of reference was Giga-cubic parsecs/year. Now that's a unit to take
> your breath away!

​More fun to come! LIGO's observing run is scheduled to last about 6 months
and then the next upgrade starts, ​

​but before that, sometime this Spring, ​the Virgo Gravitational Wave
detector near Pisa Italy not far from where Galileo did his gravitational
experiments should come online. With a detector in Italy and the 2 LIGO
ones in Louisiana and Washington State they will be able to triangulate and
pinpoint the source of the gravitational wave and know where to point our
telescopes and see if there is a optical, radio or X Ray counterpart. And
in 2018 the KAGRA detector in Japan should come online and unlike the
others it's cooled down to cryogenic temperatures, so it should be the most
sensitive of the lot.

  John K Clark