[ExI] Megastructure engineering was Re: Tabby's star

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Dec 14 02:27:20 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Stuart LaForge
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:18 PM
To: Exi Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] Megastructure engineering was Re: Tabby's star

Spike wrote:

>...<Step one in any engineering exercise is the bound the problem.  Having
all the rocky mass together in one lump is one extreme which trades away
everything for proximity: latency is minimized.  With that solution, it
maximizes heat control problem, since every bit that is flipped way down
below the surface needs to have the resulting heat hauled all the way up to
the surface and radiated away.>

>...Yes, Spike, I totally agree. I have been doing calculations to bound the
latency issue to help with your project here. Figured out some really cool
stuff along the way.

Stuart LaForge

>...There is a maximum radial velocity for the information update within a
computer and it's *slower* than light!

>...So let's call the all-the mass-in-one-lump scenario monolithic and the
opoosite extreme "dispersive".

Oh this is cool.  Stuart, well done, me lad!