[ExI] Do digital computers feel was Re: Is the wave function real?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:28:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

​>> ​
>> in fact I have no proof that you or anybody else have any subjective
>> experiences at all.  john
>

> ​>​
> It may be that your standards of proof are in question,

​No my standards of proof are fine.​ I said I have no proof and I do not,
but belief proof and truth are three different things.

> ​> ​
> You seem to be able to believe that only you, out of over 7 billion
> people, can be conscious, think, feel, and so on.

​No, I do not believe for ​one second that I am the only conscious being in
the universe, and I don't think anyone this side of a looney bin believes
in solipsism either, except perhaps for some philosophy professors, and
even then only when they're lecturing in a classroom.  I and every sane
person must accept as a axiom of existence that when something behaves as
if they are conscious then they are. I must accept that because I could not
function if I did not.  That's why I firmly believe (but can not prove)
that my fellow human beings are conscious when they are taking a Calculus
exam but are not conscious when they are asleep or under anesthesia or
dead.  That is also why I believe (but can not prove) that rocks are not
conscious; they just don't behave as if they are.

> ​> ​
> I would have to ask you:  *what proof do you have that you are this
> unique?*

​The same amount of proof that I am not this unique, zilch.

> ​> ​
> How likely is this?

​42.​

​John K Clark​