[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 23:52:23 UTC 2016

It is generally thought that feelings occur in the central nervous system,
specifically the cortex, and that peripheral nerves and hormones act by
stimulating the central nervous system.

You make it sound like peripheral (i.e. sensory) stimulation is the only
way the mind is run. The only thing we feel in our heads is headache (which
is not brain ache).  The endocrine system is run by the hypothalamus, which
directs the pituitary gland, which controls all the other endocrine glands
(exocrine glands like sweat glands are in a different system).  So
adrenaline, for ex. comes from the adrenal gland , sitting on top of the
kidney, but it was releasing hormones from the pituitary, that told it what
to do.  The resulting feelings caused by the adrenaline, such as feeling
pumped up and powerful, are a feedback system.

A sequence of fear can be started either by thinking or by external
stimulation.

Now if you want to call something like intuition a feeling, then we are at
cross purposes.  I am talking about literal feelings as created by an
emotional system, the limbic system. bill w

consciousness might reside in the actual brain substance.

Where else could it be?  I am a physical monist and don't like
metaphysics.  It may be possible for a computer to feel things the way we
do, but we will never know.

I would like to reiterate an earlier post and remind everyone that neurons
are not the only things in our heads:  we have several kinds of glia (I
have a couple of books on that subject) and they certainly do affect the
neurons (not just as support, as earlier thought), so we have to take their
behavior into consideration in beginning to understand the mind. There are
many times more glia than neurons and currently we have little way of
mapping them.   bill w

Before John says it: you don't know whether any other humans really feel,
you just deduce it from their behaviour.

Yes, and this is the only way we know *anything at all* of humans, puppies,
atoms, and all the rest of the universe.  It is the only way we know
ourselves, by observing ourselves and making deductions.

Everything told to me by authorities (including possible divine
inspiration), reason and logic, and intuition, is tentative at best.  I am
an empiricist to the bone!

 bill w