[ExI] whence will learning come

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 23 16:04:02 UTC 2016

Here's an interesting article with some jewels of wisdom, too long to read
perhaps.  The previous clause proves the point of the article itself:

https://aeon.co/essays/can-students-who-are-constantly-on-their-devices-actu
ally-learn?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter
<https://aeon.co/essays/can-students-who-are-constantly-on-their-devices-act
ually-learn?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter&utm_campaign=dea3bdfe0e-EMAIL_CAMPAIG
N_2016_12_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-dea3bdfe0e-68957125>
&utm_campaign=dea3bdfe0e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_21&utm_medium=email&utm_term
=0_411a82e59d-dea3bdfe0e-68957125

Comment from the article:  An even bigger problem is the way that technology
damages critical-thinking skills. Because knowledge is so ubiquitous, we
don't have to hone it as sharply and we don't have to commit much to memory
- we can just Google everything. Researchers from University College London
<http://late-dpedago.urv.cat/site_media/papers/425.pdf> report that readers
skim information, rarely reread, and engage in something called 'power
browsing' rather than actual reading.

I would like to hear BillW's take on it.