[ExI] Nuclear hair-trigger

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:13:47 UTC 2016

Some months ago Spike said something about how the USA shouldn't be on a
nuclear hair trigger, and the more I think about it the more I think he was
right. Somebody has started the following petition to President Barack
Obama:

*" We urge you to take U.S. nuclear missiles off hair-trigger alert. Heed
what you said back in 2008, "Keeping nuclear weapons ready to launch on a
moment's notice is a dangerous relic of the Cold War. Such policies
increase the risk of catastrophic accidents or miscalculation. I believe
that we must address this dangerous situation." Now more than ever, we call
on you to ensure calmer heads prevail. Taking this critical step
would bring profound security benefits for all Americans by reducing the
risk of nuclear disaster." *

If you want to sign it you can do so here:
https://www.change.org/p/potus-help-keep-trump-s-finger-off-the-button-nucleartrump

If this went into effect the USA could still launch missiles but it would
take hours not seconds to do so,  perhaps enough time for anger to cool a
little. Of course the new president could change it back to a hair trigger,
but one must do what one can. The matter seems particularly urgent in light
of of Mr. Trump's latest twitter posts.

*"​T​he United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear
capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding
nukes."*

And

*" Let it be an arms race. We will outmatch them at every pass and outlast
them all,"*

Right now World War 3 could start in less time than it takes to type 140
characters.

 John K Clark