[ExI] he said what????

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:17:19 UTC 2016

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​> ​
> You know this will be huge.  Fake news will be practically
> indistinguishable from real.  We can make anyone appear to say anything:
>

> https://singularityhub.com/2016/12/24/think-tech-is-
> blurring-fact-and-fantasy-just-wait/?utm_source=
> Singularity+Hub+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7456354a43-Hub_
> Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f0cf60cdae-
> 7456354a43-57458369

​NASDAQ inserts a digital time stamp from the National Institute of
Standards  into its financial transactions and then makes a
cryptographically secure hash out of it, that way anyone can prove when a
transaction occurred to within a fraction of a second. Perhaps not too far
from now it will be common practice for cameras, even cell phone cameras,
to do something similar. That way if somebody produces a video of me making
silly faces I can produce an older video without the clowning proving it
was altered.  I might also want to digitally sign any video of me. Of
course somebody could still make a phony video and claim it was made by a
hidden camera showing me doing something I shouldn't; the only way around
that I can think of is if I filmed myself 24/7 with digital time stamp
included, that way I'd always have an alibi.

 John K Clark