[ExI] he said what????

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 06:01:36 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> In your example, you could do the same for your videos, proving that
> *you say that* you have an older video.  This does not absolutely
> prove that you actually had that earlier video, just that you say that
> you do.
> ​ ​
> In neither case does NIST actually sign anything.

​But why couldn't NIST sign it? ​

​I send my video to NIST and a few seconds later they send me a file signed
with NIST's private key that says "we received your video ​and made this
hash of it at time X". Then if somebody produces a different version of the
video with a time stamp later than X on it I can produce the signed hash of
the earlier video proving the later one must be
phony
​;​
provided
​of course ​