[ExI] hand foot counterpart?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 06:41:43 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Is there a word for structures on the hand which are analogous to a
> corresponding structure on the foot?
>

> For instance: The big toe is the Schnorkleheimer of the thumb.
>

> Medical and embryology hipsters, is there an existing term which goes in
> the place of Schnorkleheimer in the sentence above?

### I would say paralog, since the structures arose by duplication of genes
or gene families within a species, and then persisted through hundreds of
speciation events. Analog is actually also a good term, if perhaps less
sciency-sounding and may imply an incorrect evolutionary mechanism. Homolog
is also appropriate, although more general than paralog.

Rafał