[ExI] hand foot counterpart?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Feb 7 07:09:05 UTC 2016

>. On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] hand foot counterpart?

On 2016-02-06 17:18, spike wrote:

I can't think of a way to ask my search engine this question, so I will
Exi-Google my generally hip ExI friends please:

Is there a word for structures on the hand which are analogous to a
corresponding structure on the foot?

Homologs? Homologous structures?
https://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/pdfs/2010f.pdf
http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jdms/papers/Vol14-issue8/Version-1/E014811416.p
df

--
Anders Sandberg

Cool thanks, that is the word I was looking for.  It is more general than
the specific hand/foot homologs.  As I recall it is OK to use the term for
homologous structures in mammals.  If you look at your dog's leg, you might
at first think their knees bend the wrong direction.  But closer examination
allows you to realize their homologous structure to our heel is off the
ground, and their paws are homologous to the stuff at the balls of our feet
and everything forward.