[ExI] Next Generation of Boston Dynamics' ATLAS Robot

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 15:27:10 UTC 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 01:46, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 February 2016 at 14:04, Giovanni Santostasi wrote:
> > Hey, ddraig, noticed your quote...
> > wakefulness alternated with dreamless sleep is actually a great thing
> > (you could not learn anything without it).
> > Dreamless sleep (slow wave sleep) is my area of research in
> neuroscience, not just a pet peeve, ; )
> >

> "our aim is wakefulness, our enemy is dreamless sleep" is not meant to
> be scientific.  :)
> The saying comes from an occult group.
> It refers to being in a state of awareness and not sleepwalking through
> life.
>
> (My translation! :)  ddraig may have a different view).

nope, nope, 100% a TOPY quote.  I just liked the idea - that the ideal of
life is to be Awake, and Present, and to not just do things out of habit
and social conditioning, but because you really want to do whatever you're
doing.  It seems to me that the vast majority of people just drift, when,
if you think about it, this is something that we most certainly have not
evolved to have as our default state.  It probably descends from Gurdjieff,
but I actually have zero clue as to where TOPY got it from.

It's been in my sigfile since 1993 or so.  About as long as I've been on
this list, come to think of it.

Looking at it - Return To The Source is also a TOPY quote (from the song
Exit 23)

nice bit of trainspotting there, Bill  :-)
--
  ddraig at pobox.com irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...