[ExI] 'Friendly' AI won't make any difference

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:33:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

​
>> ​>>​
>> There are indeed vested interests​
>> ​ ​
>> but it wouldn't matter even if there weren't,
>> there is no way the friendly AI (aka slave AI) idea could work under any
>> circumstances. You just can't keep outsmarting​ something far smarter than
>> you are indefinitely
>>

> ​>​
> Actually, yes, you can. But you need to construct utility functions with
> invariant subspaces

​It's the invariant part that will cause problems, any mind with a fixed
goal that can never change no matter what is going to end up in a infinite
loop, that's why Evolution never gave humans a fixed meta goal, not even
the goal of self preservation. If the AI has a meta goal of always obeying
humans then sooner or later stupid humans will unintentionally tell the AI
to do something that is self contradictory, or tell it to start a task that
can never end, and then the AI will stop thinking and do nothing but
consume electricity and produce heat.  ​

And besides, ​if Microsoft can't guarantee that Windows will always behave
as we want I think it's nuts to expect a super intelligent AI to.

 John K Clark