[ExI] 'Friendly' AI won't make any difference

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Feb 28 09:26:39 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-28 04:40, TimTyler wrote:

> You can loop forever without ever returning to a previous state, though:
>
> 10 LET UNBOUNDED INTEGER i = 0;
> 20 i = i + 1;
> 30 GOTO 20;

Yeah, that was stupid of me.

Still, the general point still stands: despite the halting theorem it is
quite possible to detect large categories of infinite loops
automatically (this is something real code validation systems actually
manage - they have no problem proving the above will not halt).

Now, in AI we do not usually want the agent to halt (for a
question-answer system this is the goal, but not for a robot). Instead
we want it to behave indefinitely, yet not get stuck in a maladaptive
behavioral loop. The interesting thing there is that one can prove stuff
about the ergodicity of behavior in some cases like reinforcement
learners, showing they will explore their space and if there is a better
action pattern they will eventually find it. The real problem is usually
that that convergence is impractically slow.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute