[ExI] need a new word/suffix

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 19:24:29 UTC 2016

On Dec 13, 2015, at 1:51 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "I have looked into it a bit and there is no good suffix for 'hate'.  And we do need one.
>
> We are using 'xenophobia' to mean not just fear but hate and that is just wrong.  We can even love what we fear.
>
> So, group, I don't know of any other people who are better placed to create a new suffix and thus word for hate of the new/strange/different.
>
> It must, I think, start with xeno-.  Latin offers 'peregrinus' for alien.
> Maybe not workable.
>
> Ideas?"
>
> I would suggest -odia. From Odium.
>
> It works for some words (Islamodia) but not really for others (Xenodia, Xeno-odia?)
>
> Although it might not be grammatically sound to use it like that, I'm not learned enough to know.

Nice try, but I think in common speech '-odia' will too easily fail to be distinguished from '-phobia,' especially from inattentive listeners or when there's garbling, noise, etc. it's just too close in sound.

The straying of meaning of words and word fragments is nothing new. I'm not losing any sleep over how 'phobia' seems to have an altered meaning in the context of 'xenophobia' and the like. I don't believe there's a big need for a neologism here -- save for folks too obsessed with this stuff. ;)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst