[ExI] paranoia risk

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jan 16 11:30:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-16 04:43, spike wrote:

> Anders, you are in the epicenter of coolness there in Oxford. Do you
> know of people playing Paranoia Risk, or clubs?  Are there online
> groups playing?

Sorry, no info on Paranoia Risk.

I know there is a gaming society at the university. I am not part of it,
but some of my colleagues and me play boardgames occasionally. Including
testing out our own new games (I have the trolley problem game of moral
dilemmas, Toby has made both a cool rabbit breeding game involving Game
of Life, Fibonacci numbers and trading, and an amazing six player game
of Greek mythology where the gods and heroes have independent goals). We
also have an excellent boardgame cafe where you pay a cover charge for a
table and then can play games from the enormous library they have.

Paranoia Risk sounds a bit like the game Lifeboat. There you play a
character that (1) tries to survive, (2) tries to ensure the survival of
a loved one, (3) tries to ensure a hated character dies, and (4) get
extra points that are only worth it if you survive. Other players do not
know who your loved and hated ones are.

Otherwise the favourite game in our group is of course Pandemic. Save
the world from disease! Our house rules involve how to give Nobel Prize
speeches when you eradicate a particular disease.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute