[ExI] Gaian Bottleneck

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jan 25 21:44:17 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg…

​

--
Anders Sandberg

Anders, on the contrary sir.

If the notion I suggested is correct, that any MBrain would by thermodynamic necessity reflect low entropy energy in a specific direction away from us, it would appear as an anomalous lack of IR radiation.  I haven’t been able to prove it, but the original notion was the discovery that an MBrain would overheat eventually, unless the most of the energy is reflected, and it has to all be in mostly one direction.

I do encourage others to work out that solution independently from my calcs, or find a disproof (which would be better for MBrain fans.) The original discovery was made in late summer of 2013.

Recall that sequence: discovery that if you reflect most of the energy (and momentum) of a star in the same direction, you can move an entire star and its associated planets.  From there I went to calculate if the nodes in the reflected light path would overheat.  From there I discovered a way to turn them so they would not overheat.  From there I discovered that the entire swarm would overheat eventually if we do not reflect the light in one direction, then take the action previously suggested for those nodes In the reflected light path.

If an MBrain were doing that, to us it would appear as dimming with an anomalous lack of IR signature.  This might be indistinguishable from an intervening dust cloud distant from the star.

Damn.