[ExI] Robot cats for companionship

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jan 31 19:11:04 UTC 2016

The Paro robot is amazingly hard not to pet. It does not take much to
make us humans cuddle stuff.

The real question is what it takes to construct high-level
companionship. Cuddling is a direct physical/emotional activity. Hiroshi
Ishiguro has been exploring transmitting/creating presence using his
Telenoid (plus, earlier, telepresence using a Geminoid). But doing
things like friendly chatting or sitting together may still be tricky.

I was recently in a great conversation with a scholar about the future
of relationships, where we tried to figure out how much can be predicted
about making emotional and social connections to robots. Sexbots are
hard enough, but systems that could develop good enough socioemotional
bonds are really tricky given our human uncanny valley response - yet,
as many people show, there are always some people who bond to the
strangest entities.