[ExI] Nobel laureates tell Greenpeace to stop, opposing GMOs

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:03:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Chris Hibbert <hibbert at mydruthers.com>
wrote:

> William Flynn Wallace replied
>
>> Further:  we libertarians have to concede that the feds have a place
>> in the world.  We need more regulation like inspection of foreign
>> foods we import.
>>

> Even if I concede that there is a role for a Federal government,
> intervention in the food market is not necessarily part of it.
>
> Private organizations certifying the content would do just fine. And very
> little of the foreign imports are getting to consumers through roadside
> stands and farmer's markets. It's mostly coming in through grocery chains
> who have a lot to lose if they're not paying attention to what they sell.
> If the Feds weren't assuring us that the food is all safe (when we know
> they can't have (and don't claim to have) inspected and monitored
> everything then the shippers and sellers would spend more of their own
> money on it.
>
> > That's a wide open door for terrorists to get through.
>
> ​​
> If terrorists want to poison our food supply to get us, they could do it
> domestically just as easily.
>
> The supplements we take are unregulated:  Consumer Reports says that many
>> supplements don't have what the label says they have, or not in the
>> amounts
>> they say they do.   Where is the FDA?
>>

> We aren't going to give the FDA enough money to monitor everything, so
> we'd be better off finding another way (Consumer Reports comes to mind) to
> inspect and label.
>
> Chris

​I have utterly no objection to private business doing these things, but
nobody is - mostly.  CR does do a good job but they are very limited by
money.  I support them.

No, we aren't going to give regulators more money.  Repubs to blame.  Hell,
they won't even give the IRS enough money to hire more people to make more
money than it would take to pay them.  Stupid stupid.

​​​​​
​​
If terrorists want to poison our food supply to get us, they could do it
domestically just as easily.

All the more reason to give the FDA more money.  I am not a conspiracy
theorist - by a very long shot.  But we are not being careful enough about
our water supply, food supply, drugs, power stations, and more.  Remember
when someone, never caught, poisoned Tylenol, leading to the kind of
packaging we have nowadays?  That could look like very small change.  I
hope I am wrong.

bill w​