[ExI] tms

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sun Jul 10 23:12:56 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-10 22:14, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> The simplicity has led to a fair number of amateurs experimenting,
> causing concerns among the researchers in the field. anders
> Then there was the guy who took an actual Black and Decker drill and
> put a hole in his cranium.  I forgot what for (but I'll bet Spike can
> think of some dillies).  Yes, he survived.  Be careful what you show
> the public, eh?

I personally know a lady who did it. At the time she was leading the
Trepanation Party, arguing the national health service should cover it
since having brains pulsate freely is good and enhancing. She is doing
fine and is today a respected part of the establishment as a somewhat
eccentric noblewoman (this is why I love the UK).

When I took my medical engineering courses the teacher was a emergency
surgeon, who delighted in telling us gruesome things about what to do in
a *real* emergency. The running joke was epidural vs. subdural
hematomas, and the entire lecture hall responded by chanting "Black and
Decker! Wroom wroom!" doing drilling gestures. (*Proper* trepanation and
craniotomy uses a cut-off so that the drill stops once you are through
the bone.)

> Or my wife, who as Safety Director for a play, got a drill  and tried
> to put a hole in her jeans.  Of course it wound up like crazy, caused
> her to fall and break her ankle.  No, she continued as Safety
> Director, walking around on her crutches.

Presumably she took the job seriously after the accident? Sometimes it
can be quite helpful.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute