[ExI] pokemon go further

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jul 12 23:35:06 UTC 2016

OK cool, so now I get to be the local hipster for the first time.

My son plays this new game, PokemonGo and loves it.  Yesterday at the local
park we saw a couple dozen players and could easily tell what they were
doing.  This game gets partway there to something I have been anticipating
for a long time: some kind of virtual reality in which characters or
something is superimposed on the scene to create a VR.

What I am thinking of now is the next step.  PokemonGo has feedback in a
crude sense: it reacts to where the player is located.  But using a cell
phone, it looks like we have everything we need to do image-recognition
feedback loops.

An example I have used before to describe this is in repairing the secondary
gear case of a Suzuki Cavalcade.  Since we know exactly what that gear case
looks like, the image recognition task is limited to a workable scale.  When
a phone is held about a meter from that gearcase, the software would
recognize it and point to the four bolts which must be removed to get to the
next step.  It could tell you the size wrench needed, the torque value on
reassembly, etc.

Have we any image-recognition gurus or semi-hipsters among us who can
comment on how difficult is this problem?  I am thinking of a very limited,
closed-ended image recognition subroutine which would recognize the outline
of a known quantity, such as a specific motorcycle part.  Software can
recognize faces; this seems trivially easy in comparison.  It seems like
just a scale and rotate problem to get what the camera sees to match what it
is looking for.