[ExI] Name recognition

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 19:17:51 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> > Ja.  In popular voting, name recognition is huge.  It works even if it is
> > someone else's name.  Consider the Alvin Greene situation in 2010 where
> > Greene took the nomination to run for senate from South Carolina.  He
> had no
> > money, no campaign events, did nothing but register as a candidate and
> have
> > a name that plenty of voters thought was the singer Al Green.  Name
> > recognition took Greene to the nomination even though it wasn't even the
> > same guy.
>
> There are many studies that show most voters in general elections --
> between 60% and 70% for the US over several decades -- basically do not
> cast their vote based on policy or ideology. It's more name recognition or
> other factors. Yes, the remainder are more policy or ideology-oriented, but
> they're not in the majority. So, we shouldn't be too surprised in the
> example you cite. :)

So how might someone like Mr. Johnson be able to fix this, in the time
between now and October (when the early ballots start coming in)?  If you
were his campaign manager (or even him), how might you start getting enough
name recognition that double-digit % of voters nationwide might start
speaking of you as the "not Clinton or Trump" candidate?