[ExI] net wisdom

Anders anders at aleph.se
Thu Jul 21 08:44:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-18 18:04, Tara Maya wrote:
> Question: If people have a longer healthspan, will the net wisdom
> (which is different from general intelligence) of the population
> increase?

Maybe. We know older people have higher conscientiousness scores.

Studies looking at various wisdom scales have been equivocal. Kramer
argued that it is not having a lot of experience that gives you wisdom,
but difficult, morally challenging and require a bit of profoundity.
Wink and Helson apparently found that divorced women scored higher on
wisdom than women who had not experienced it
(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1020782619051).

This study (http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/pag/23/4/787/) argued that
age-related cognitive changes may impair the development of practical
wisdom (so health extension would boost it). This might also explain the
sometimes seen curvilinear relationships seen in studies. There is even
some evidence that wisdom might be specific for situations that fit the
person: older people may hence be wise about old people
(http://psychsocgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/69/6/897.abstract).

I think longer healthspans at least mean more human capital: more
cognitive ability, more skill, more experience, more social networks can
be brought to bear on a problem. That is by no means wisdom on its own,
but still somewhat useful.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute