[ExI] net wisdom

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:35:03 UTC 2016

Adrian - The hope is that this will one day be true of people too.  Most
people are fans enough of themselves.  (The rest...well, immortality's not
for everyone.  Some truly will prefer finite existence.)
I would go for finite unless there's a way to erase memories.  I was
talking with a peer and it was saddening that both of us have lost interest
in so many things, things we very much enjoyed.  I am not talking about
occasional things like dancing, which I love, and which osteoarthritis will
not let me do anymore.  I am talking about a lot of music which just
doesn't do anything for me anymore.  Some books too, surprisingly.  Genre
fiction is very limited and formulaic.  I pick up one and quickly see the
hooks, the good and bad guys, and can usually plot it myself, esp. after
peeking at the ending.  And there's only so many times one can read one's
favorites -true of music as well.

Classical music in the last 50 years really sucks.  And it's right next to
reading as a true love.  I buy CDs and throw them away all the time - just
looking for something new and good.

I love new and different and have always been very high on openness to
experience.  For instance, a trilogy by Cixin Liu is excellent (Three Body
Problem the first book).  Wish there were a lot more.

Sorry if this is a downer for you, but you can see why I would not want to
come back.  It's too late anyway.  The only thing possible is cryo and
that's far too expensive for me, not to mention leaving my wife penniless.
But I have really enjoyed life.  It's been a good run.  No complaints.
Remember that when I am no longer here.  Still have a good ways to go, I
think.

bill w