[ExI] uploading in aeon

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 23:35:18 UTC 2016

Hi Michael

One of the long time Extropians posted a pointer to your thoughtful
Aeon article on uploading.

The Extropians have been discussing uploading and related topics for
the last 25 years.

Even there, I am an outlier, making a case that marketing
considerations will require uploading to work both directions.  To me
it is clear that if we have the technical ability to upload, it won't
be any harder to reverse the process and put your uploaded
mind/memories back in the meat brain after a weekend of hard partying
in the uploaded realm.  I wrote a short story about this ten years
ago.  http://www.terasemjournals.org/GNJournal/GN0202/henson1.html

Charles Stross (early member of that community) published Accelerando
about the same time.  It's still well worth reading for the thoughts
on uploading, forking and reconstituting.

More recently Charles and Cory Doctorow wrote  _The Rapture of the
Nerds_.  I won't try to summarize it, but there is a review here.

www.npr.org/2012/09/06/159997020/you-dont-have-to-be-a-nerd-but-it-helps

Finally, there are certain physical problems with uploading and
running fast.  The SF authors can get around such problem with
wormholes, but our universe may not allow that, leaving us stuck the
speed of light limitations.  If that's the case, physics will leave us
stuck with small spaces if we want to maintain a common culture.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121130232045/http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/04/12/transhumanism-and-the-human-expansion-into-space-a-conflict-with-physics/

Best wishes,

Keith Henson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Henson