[ExI] How Technology Hijacks People’s Minds

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 18:25:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:21 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We see a rebounding of subliminal ads, in experiments, that do work.  And
> what about product placement?  You may notice the Coke bottle and you may
> not but your unconscious saw it in all likelihood.

### But I don't drink Coke. A long time ago I stopped drinking regular Coke
because of the sugar. Then I found out about the phosphoric acid so I
stopped drinking diet Coke as well and switched to diet Sprite-like drinks.
Then I read enough about the impact of non-nutritious sweeteners on the gut
flora to have doubts about their innocuousness. I hate the taste of water
or unsweetened tea, so I mix carbonated mineral water with a bit of diet
Sprite-like.

Advertising, subliminal or not, doesn't seem to have any impact on what I
drink or eat. Most of what I eat is not advertised at all. I don't own or
watch TV, I don't read newspapers, I don't read websites that block
Adblocker. I make enough money to be a prime target of advertisers, yet I
remain so tantalizingly out of their reach.

Suckers.