[ExI] education again

Stephen Van Sickle sjv2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:27:17 UTC 2016

> I wonder if your 14 year old can mentor one of the similarly gifted 10
> year olds.

This was once a popular method of education:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitorial_System

if for no other reason that it was extremely economical.  But it also has
other advantages.  In my experience, I've found i never truly master
material until i try to teach it to someone.  And giving older students
some (supervised) responsibility for the younger ones can instill positive
values and help with the "maturing process" that Spike mentions.

I've often thought that the worst feature of "modern" education is that
everyone almost exclusively spends time in the company of others the same
age.  Ideally, one should spend most of their time caring for the younger
to learn responsibility and in the company of the older who teach by
example.  With the decline of large extended families, this is getting
harder to find. Schools just stunt social and emotional growth.  And barely
manage to teach.