[ExI] old time pugilistic memories

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:00:39 UTC 2016

On 4 June 2016 at 15:31, spike  wrote:
<snip>
> How-ahd Co-sell had an interview with Patterson on the phone.  He sounded
> drunk to me, but afterwards plenty of people had to wonder if the sport had
> perhaps contributed to his condition.  They had a hard time finding a former
> heavyweight boxing champion who could hold a sustained intelligent
> conversation.  Now we know more about the cumulative effects of multiple
> concussions.

At one time I had a work colleague who was a really big man. At
university he had fought as an amateur heavyweight boxer. His comment,
which I have never forgotten, is that ordinary folk have no conception
of what it is like to receive a punch from a heavyweight boxer. One
punch would put an ordinary mortal in hospital with severe injuries.
So it is not remarkable than many boxers are permanently damaged.

BillK