[ExI] political disaster...

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:12:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> > ​I see no reason why a voter in ​Wyoming should have 66.7 times more
>> power over deciding who gets to be a senator than a voter in California,
>> ​or why the Wyoming guy should have 18.3 times more power in choosing the
>> next president than the California guy.  … John K Clark
>

> ​> ​
> The electoral college protects the power and relevance of state
> governments.

​
I don't see how 66.7 California voters being equal to one Wyoming voter
helps
​the ​
government
​in
 Sacramento; and the state government of California is far more important
than the state government of
​Wyoming​
.  And it seems that a disproportionate number of anti-libertarian laws
​ are state laws​
, like restrictions
​
 on abortion and freedom of speech and
​the ​
teaching
​of ​
Evolution
​;​
although I admit the State of Washington, Oregon, Vermont
​ and California have been way ahead of the federal government ​and of
everybody else on euthanasia. Actually that's another thing that pisses me
off about libertarians, why isn't the right to die a bigger deal with them?
Yeah they say they're for it but it's about number 147 on their list of
priorities. To hell with the right to carry a machine gun under your coat,
why isn't the right to die the number one libertarian issue?
​

> ​> ​
> The electoral college introduces all manner of weirdness, but it is good
> weirdness.  It helps protect (to some extent) against ballot cheating.

​
Fox news
​and ​
hillbilly
​ radio ​
would lead one to believe that voter fraud was a huge problem that can only
be fixed by requiring extensive red tape before somebody can vote, but the
facts are that out of the 197,000,000
​ ​
votes cast for federal candidates between 2002 and 2005, only 40 votes were
suspected of being fraudulent
​,​
and of those
​40 ​
only 26 were convicted, so 99.99999987% of the votes cast
​were ​
genuine
​,​
​ and that's good enough for government work.​

 John K Clark