[ExI] political disaster

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:30:39 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Let me reduce this down again to one point. I believe actual libertarians
>> should hold two points (and not only two, but these two preclude all this
>> madness in the States over Trump vs. Hillary vs. Johnson) as basic:
>>
>> 1. No one has the right to rule over anyone else.
>> 2. No one has the duty to obey anyone else.
>>
>> These two positions preclude elected and non-elected states period. They
also preclude obeying the Constitution.

> Doesn't work.  That means there should only ever be anarchy, and no such
> thing as a civil society that gets around the problem of freeloaders
(which,
> if unlimited in practice, means there's no civil society).

Anarchy just means no rulers. Per se, it's compatible with living in
society. Also, there's an easy way to deal with freeloaders: under the
above, no one is compelled to serve anyone freeloading. Anyone who feels
they're suffering another's freeloading can simply not assist the
freeloader.

Or did you mean something like the overly vague notion of positive
externalities? Again, same idea. The problem with positive externalities is
one can claim them about anything. It's highly subjective. For instance,
you now going on a killing spree tomorrow is a positive externality. Does
that mean the rest of are freeloading on you not going on a killing spree?
Let's say someone, indeed, does go on a killing spree tomorrow, but you,
being a champion of society, take them out -- maybe not kill them, but just
prevent them from continuing -- before they kill more. Is that a positive
externality the rest of us owe you for? What do we owe you? Can you compel
payment?

Michael Huemer gives a pretty good contemporary coverage of this issue here:

http://spot.colorado.edu/~huemer/book3.htm

(Please someone help him with web design. Well, unless you feel his work is
corrupting, in which case, his web design inoculates many for his
pernicious influence.:)

Regards,

Dan
 Please take a peek at my latest Kindle book at:
http://mybook.to/Gurlitt