[ExI] Autonomous car ethics

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:00:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 6:16 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should a self-driving car kill its passengers for the greater good –

Oh, the many ways that can be exploited.

Imagine a passenger gets into the car with a machine gun and a bomb
vest (or some equally absurd situation) ...

Can we expect the car to drive off the cliff "for the greater good" ?
Of course the guy is a terrorist, and of course the car is equipped
with enough intention-sensors to know it.
(yes, intention-sensors: because intelligence is effectively
prediction and anticipation, so AI is about reliably guessing the
future from clues available in the present)

idk, I feel like discussing 'ethics' for cars is taking the
conversation down a literal wrong road.